Employment Law Attorneys
No job is perfect. Many employees can list practices and policies their employer engages in with which they do not agree. Abiding by these policies is likely to play a key role in maintaining your position and in protecting your job security. However, there is legal recourse when these violate your rights or put your health and well-being in jeopardy. At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, we defend workers based on state and federal laws that apply in your case. As experienced Stillwater, OK employment law attorneys, you can trust us to provide the strong, professional legal guidance you need to protect yourself in these situations.
Employment Violations in Stillwater, OK
The Oklahoma Department of Labor has rules and regulations in place that are designed to protect the safety, health, and financial well-being of workers throughout the state. When issues arise on the job site, the law may be on your side but defending yourself against your employer can prove challenging.
It is not uncommon for employers and supervisors to use intimidation tactics to force workers into keeping silent regarding job-related issues. You may be threatened with a demotion, possible firing, or other adverse actions for speaking up or reporting certain types of violations. Among the most common include:
● Unfair hiring practices;
● Job requirements that violate your terms of employment;
● Disputes over hours, breaks, and wages;
● Problems with employee benefits and retirement packages;
● Discriminatory practices based on your age, gender, race, religious affiliation, nationality, or sex;
● Policies that violate the rights of parents and families;
● Safety violations that occur on the job site due to hazardous substances or lack of proper equipment;
● Hostile work environments, such as situations involving sexual harassment or other types of abuse;
● Wrongful terminations and other retaliatory acts meant to punish, threaten, or intimidate employees.
Legal Protections for Employees
In addition to state rules and regulations that apply in the above cases, the rights of employees in the workforce are also protected under federal labor laws. Whistleblower protections prevent employers from punishing workers for speaking out about unfair or unsafe situations.
In these types of cases, you may be entitled to file a claim against your employer. They could be subject to civil actions which may involve forced compliance with regulations and heavy fines payable to state and federal agencies. Depending on the situation, as an employee you may be entitled to the following as a result of your claim:
● Reinstatement to your prior position;
● Payment of any lost wages or benefits you suffered;
● Compensation for mental anguish, damage to your career and job prospects, or any other losses you may have suffered.
Our Stillwater, OK Employment Law Attorneys are Here to Help
At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, we can determine the laws that apply in your case while taking the legal actions needed to protect you on the job. To discuss your situation and how we can help, contact our Stillwater employment law attorneys to request a confidential consultation today.