Jackknife truck accidents can be some of the most dangerous and devastating collisions on the road. These accidents often result in severe injuries, significant property damage, and even fatalities. Having a skilled and experienced attorney is crucial.
An Oklahoma City truck accident lawyer from BDIW Law can help you navigate the complex legal process, protect your rights, and secure the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Jackknife Truck Accidents
According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, in 2021, there were 5,575 large-truck crashes in the state. A jackknife truck accident occurs when the trailer of a large commercial truck, such as an 18-wheeler, swings out to the side, forming an angle with the cab that resembles a folding pocket knife.
Several factors can cause this type of accident, including driver error. Inexperienced or poorly trained drivers may lose control of their vehicles, causing the truck to jackknife. Equipment failures, such as faulty brakes or other mechanical issues, can also result in a truck jackknifing, putting other drivers and passengers at risk.
In addition to driver error and equipment failure, adverse weather conditions can contribute to jackknife accidents. Slippery or icy roads may cause a truck to lose traction, leading to a jackknife accident. Furthermore, improper loading, such as unbalanced or unsecured cargo, can cause a shift in the truck’s weight distribution, contributing to a jackknife accident.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
The Role of a Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer
A jackknife truck accident lawyer in Oklahoma City plays a crucial role in representing clients involved in these accidents, beginning with investigating the accident. In this phase, your lawyer will gather all the necessary evidence, such as police reports, witness statements, and any available video footage, to determine the cause of the accident and identify the at-fault parties. A thorough investigation is vital for building a strong case that supports your compensation claim.
Another essential role of a jackknife truck accident lawyer is handling insurance claims. Your Oklahoma City jackknife truck accident lawyer will negotiate with the insurance companies to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and property damage.
Insurance companies often attempt to minimize payouts, but a skilled lawyer can effectively counter their tactics and advocate for your best interests. In some cases, it may be necessary for your lawyer to file a lawsuit against the at-fault parties to hold them accountable and secure compensation for your losses. This legal action can help demonstrate the seriousness of your claim and motivate the responsible parties to settle the case more fairly.
If your case goes to trial, your jackknife truck accident lawyer will represent you in court, advocating for your best interests. During the trial, your attorney will present the evidence gathered during the investigation, make persuasive arguments on your behalf, and work to convince the judge or jury of the validity of your claim. By effectively representing you in court, your lawyer can help you achieve the compensation you deserve for the injuries and losses you have suffered due to the jackknife truck accident.
Knowing Your Rights
In Oklahoma City, victims of jackknife truck accidents have the right to seek compensation for their injuries and property damage. One aspect of this compensation covers medical expenses, including emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation, and ongoing medical care. By obtaining compensation for these costs, victims can focus on their recovery without the added financial burden of medical bills.
Another aspect of compensation for jackknife truck accident victims involves lost wages. If you cannot work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for the wages you would have earned during your recovery period. This financial support can be crucial in helping victims maintain their financial stability while they recover from their injuries.
Pain and Suffering
Additionally, victims may be eligible for compensation for pain and suffering, which accounts for the physical pain and emotional distress resulting from the accident. This form of compensation acknowledges the non-economic impact the accident has had on the victim’s life.
Property damage is an important component of the compensation available to victims of jackknife truck accidents. This includes compensation for the damage sustained by your vehicle or other personal property the collision affects. Victims can repair or replace their damaged belongings and move forward after the accident by securing compensation for property damage.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Steps to Take After a Jackknife Truck Accident
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data shows that 916 large trucks were involved in fatal accidents in 2020. Following a jackknife truck accident, taking specific steps to protect your rights and strengthen your case is essential. These steps include those referenced below:
- Call 911: Report the accident to the authorities and request medical assistance. This will ensure that emergency responders are dispatched to the scene to help any injured parties and create an official record of the incident.
- Gather information: Collect contact and insurance information from all parties involved in the accident, including the truck driver, other drivers, and passengers. Also, obtain contact information from witnesses at the scene, as their testimony may be crucial in building a strong case.
- Document the scene: Take photographs or videos of the accident, your injuries, and any property damage. Capture multiple angles and distances to provide a comprehensive visual account of the collision.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you do not feel seriously injured, it is crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent but can worsen if left untreated, and prompt medical evaluation and treatment can also help establish a clear link between the accident and your injuries, which is crucial for your claim.
- Contact a Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer: Consult with a skilled and experienced jackknife truck accident attorney in Oklahoma City specializing in jackknife truck accidents as soon as possible. They will guide you through the legal process, provide advice on the best course of action, and help you secure the compensation you deserve.
- Keep records: Maintain a detailed record of all medical treatments, expenses, and correspondence with insurance companies. Keep a journal of your physical and emotional well-being and any limitations resulting from your injuries, as this can be valuable evidence of pain and suffering.
- Avoid discussing the accident: Do not discuss the details with anyone other than your lawyer, including insurance adjusters, and avoid posting about it on social media. Anything you say could be used against you in your case, and sharing information online can compromise the confidentiality and strength of your claim.
- Follow your doctor’s advice: Adhere to any recommended medical treatment plans, attend follow-up appointments, and participate in prescribed rehabilitation programs. This demonstrates your commitment to recovery and can help establish the extent of your injuries.
- Keep track of missed work: Document any time off work due to your injuries and any impact on your future earning capacity. This information can help calculate lost wages and potential future losses as part of your claim.
You Need An Attorney Who Has The Experience And Skill To Help You.Call (866) 257 7646
Contact BDIW Law for an Oklahoma City Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer
By enlisting the help of a knowledgeable and experienced Oklahoma City jackknife truck accident lawyer from BDIW Law, you can improve your chances of securing the compensation you deserve and focus on your recovery. You can rely on our team to handle the complexities of your case. Contact us today.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY