Accidents involving a “slip and fall” or “trip and fall” are more common in public places like supermarkets, offices, and hotels. Yet, they can happen anywhere, from your own house to a public place like a parking lot or street. Even if you think the slip and fall accident was your own fault, you should still get a professional opinion on whether or not others were to blame for your injuries.
Property owners are required to keep their premises safe and may be liable for your medical expenses and other losses. To find out if you have a case after a slip and fall, you can consult with an Oklahoma City slip and fall accident lawyer at BDIW Law. An Oklahoma City personal injury lawyer at our firm can help you recover substantial compensation after an accident and demand justice.
Slip and Fall Accidents Are Not Always Your Fault
While some incidents are inevitable, others can be prevented by taking necessary precautions. When a property is not maintained, visitors, guests, and invitees are exposed to the risk of a slip and fall accident. The property owner is obligated to compensate the injured party for any damages incurred. Below are some instances where neglect could result in a fall:
- Neglecting to upkeep the property
- Failing to repair a broken stairway handrail
- Omitting handrails where necessary
- Neglecting to securely fasten carpets or rugs to prevent tripping over wrinkles or tears
- Not clearing the guests’ path of obstructions, such as tools or buckets
- Refusing to fix a known safety issue on the property, such as a leak that creates puddles on the floor
These situations may seem insignificant. However, they can have serious consequences if left unchecked. Although replacing a carpet may be costly to the owner, the snag in the entryway can cause a visitor to trip, which is why landlords must prioritize safety issues over aesthetic ones.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Serious Injuries Can Result from a Slip and Fall Accident
Slipping and falling is one of the most common causes of injuries in America. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 800,000 people are hospitalized every year due to injuries related to fall accidents. These kinds of accidents can lead to serious injury and even disability or death.
There are several different types of injuries that can result from slipping and falling:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head trauma, concussions
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal bleeding, organ damage
People involved in these types of accidents should seek medical attention immediately. Take pictures or obtain witness testimony for insurance or legal situations that might arise from the mishap. A slip-and-fall accident lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK, can also aid in gathering valuable evidence to prove your claim.
Proving Your Slip, Trip, and Fall Claim
We must prove negligence to win a premises liability case. Your slip and fall accident attorney must verify the elements of negligence have been met for your claim to be successful. They include the following:
- The property where the injury occurred was either leased, owned, occupied, or controlled by the defendant
- The defendant acted recklessly or carelessly
- The plaintiff has sustained injuries
- The defendant’s carelessness resulted in the plaintiff’s injuries
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Slip and Fall Accident?
You may not be sure whether you have grounds for a personal injury claim. To determine if the owner or management is liable in a specific case, personal injury lawyers, insurance companies, and courts may consider specific factors. These could include the probability of getting injured, given the conditions present, the severity of injuries that could result under such circumstances, and whether or not the owner knew about the unsafe situation, to name a few.
You may wonder if you need an attorney if you were seriously hurt in a slip-and-fall accident. After all, medical bills may pile up fast. It can be difficult to keep track of your finances without the added stress of paying for an attorney. No payment is required to retain a personal injury attorney until after we have collected a settlement or award on your behalf.
There are no payments to make or out-of-pocket charges to you. Having an Oklahoma City slip-and-fall accident attorney on your side may make it simpler for you to receive compensation for your injuries. The services of a qualified lawyer can help you maximize your compensatory damages and avoid any hazards that could cause a reduction in your potential payout, which can free up your time to concentrate on your recovery and healing when an attorney is representing you.
How Long It Takes to Settle a Slip and Fall Case
The length of time it takes to resolve a slip and fall case varies as each case is unique. Some cases may take only a few months to resolve, while others may take years or require a trial by jury.
Once your Oklahoma City lawyers have examined the circumstances surrounding your claim, they can give you an estimated time frame for your case.
Damages Your Attorney Can Help You Recover After a Slip and Fall
In the event of a slip and fall accident in Oklahoma City, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. Damages recoverable in a lawsuit for a slip and fall accident in Oklahoma City may include economic and non-economic damages. Some examples could include:
- Medical expenses: Hospitalization, emergency room visits, surgical operations, and other medical treatments are examples of recoverable damages.
- Lost wages: Slip and fall injuries might impede your ability to return to work, resulting in lost pay. Included in recoverable damages are lost wages and future earning potential.
- Non-economic damages: Accidents involving a slip and fall can result in bodily pain, psychological stress, and suffering. Damages might include compensation for emotional trauma and pain and suffering.
- Property damage: Slip and fall accidents can also result in damage to personal goods, such as clothing, jewelry, or electronic gadgets. You may recover the cost of repairing or replacing destroyed property.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Contact a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK, Today for a Free Consultation
Recovering damages after an accident can be a complex process, and you want to be sure that you recover an adequate amount to cover your losses. To understand the damages you can obtain in a slip and fall accident lawsuit, it is crucial to speak with an Oklahoma City personal injury attorney.
BDIW Law may be able to assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses when you contact us by phone or through our convenient contact form to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY