If someone you love lives in a nursing home, it may surprise you that it is not always as expected. Nursing home abuse is more common than one might think. For a family member or caregiver seeing this abuse, it may be necessary to get help from a Cushing nursing home abuse lawyer
For legal assistance, speaking with an Cushing personal injury lawyer will be beneficial to seek the justice your family members or patients deserve. Ultimately, wanting the best for those you love is important. This is why speaking with the skilled legal team at BDIW Law will ensure your loved ones receive the advocacy and support they deserve.
Oklahoma Nursing Home Negligence Laws
When someone you love is unable to care for themselves, a long-term care facility may be the best course of action. These special homes are legally responsible for ensuring their residents’ safety and well-being. This is why Oklahoma has strict rules that nursing homes must follow, thanks to the Nursing Home Care Act and Long-Term Care Security Act.
Nursing Home Laws
Nursing homes in the state of Oklahoma are required to do the following:
- Hold and renew the proper licenses that are required for care facilities while holding the right certifications.
- Meet the state fire safety standards
- Display, in the open, current licenses and other legal documents that facilities of this nature should have
- Hire nurses who are competent and qualified
- Uphold the rights and safety of residents
Nursing Home Negligence
Failing to meet these standards can lead to patient abuse and neglect. Some specific cases of nursing home neglect can include:
- Bad hiring practices and inadequate staff training
- Lack of proper safety measures for residents
- Not providing the right medical care to patients
- Improper facilities for the residents with a lack of regular maintenance
- Stealing money or important information from patients
- Using physical force on the residents
- Isolation of patients
- Psychological harm
If you think that your loved one isn’t being provided basic care, you should seek help immediately. A nursing home abuse lawyer in Cushing from BDIW Law can look at the evidence and determine whether or not you have a legal claim.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
The Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It is important to be able to recognize the signs of nursing home abuse so that you are better equipped to help your loved ones. Unfortunately, signs are often overlooked and attributed to frail bodies and minds of diminished capacity. Along with your Cushing nursing home abuse attorney, you can look for the following warning signs of abuse:
- Bruises and cuts that have no explanation
- Heavy administration of medication or drugs
- Rapid and extreme weight loss or weight gain
- Unexpected serious illnesses
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Uncalled for the use of physical restraints
- Emotional or psychological abuse
Emotional abuse may be challenging to spot. However, some signs may include your elder loved one becoming withdrawn or non-communicative, depressed, or easily agitated. Every case is unique. However, if you suspect abuse or neglect, it is imperative to report the incident and request an investigation.
Suing a Nursing Home For Negligence Or Abuse
There are a few steps that one can take when bringing nursing home abuse to light. First, speak with the facilities management team and express your concerns. By Oklahoma law, they are legally required to address these corners.
Based on your concerns, they should offer you a written policy explaining why your thoughts are nothing to be worried about. They should give you their policies and how what they are doing follows these policies.
If you do not believe the policy given and there are no improvements made, it may be time to get legal professionals involved. From here, you and your nursing home abuse attorney in Cushing can contact the National Adult Protective Services Association to file a report.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
How a Lawyer from BDIW Can Help
At BDIW, our team has years of experience advocating for victims of abuse and neglect. We can conduct an independent investigation into your concerns and help you fight for your loved one. Our attorneys may establish abuse or negligence through the following:
- Looking into health records and see if there are direct links
- Speaking to witnesses and gathering their statements
- Taking photographs and videos
- Checking the nursing home policies
- Digging into any past safety claims or records that would point to nursing home abuse
Your Cushing nursing home abuse lawyer will work tirelessly to determine negligence. We understand compensation cannot erase the suffering your loved one has experienced. However, recovering damages may be able to help your loved one relocate and cover any unexpected costs.
You Need An Attorney Who Has The Experience And Skill To Help You.Call (866) 257 7646
The Damages You Can Recover In Nursing Home Abuse Claims
In Oklahoma, those who are victims of nursing home abuse and their families may be entitled to compensation. Based on the finer details of your claim, you might be able to recover some economic damages and noneconomic damages.
- Economic damages: These damages are tangible things that can have a monetary value associated with them. These include medical care costs, relocation fees, financial setbacks, and ongoing care.
- Non-economic damages: These types of damages will be all intangible things. You could be compensated for reduced quality of life, pain and suffering, or emotional distress.
Sometimes, the anticipated future costs will be looked at as well. If your loved one or patient needs ongoing care or more help, these costs could be covered as part of your settlement.
Hold Those Responsible for Nursing Home Abuse
It is incredibly distressing to witness negligence or abuse in the nursing home, and it can hit closer to home when it is someone you know and love. At BDIW Law, we understand the effects of this and offer unwavering support and efforts to seek justice for those affected. By giving our experienced team a call today, you can schedule your free consultation, go over your claim, and allow us to answer any other questions you may have.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY