As you may know, the skin is the largest organ in your body. The skin plays a crucial role in regulating your body temperature and serves as a living barrier that protects you from external threats. Since the skin is exposed to the outside world, it is more vulnerable to injury.
Burns are some of the most serious and painful injuries a person may sustain in their lifetime. When burns are severe enough, they can result in disfigurement, permanent scarring, and even disability.
If you suffered burn injuries because of someone else’s negligence in a motor vehicle accident, you should speak with a Ponca City burning and scarring injury lawyer at BDIW Law to help you recover damages from the negligent party. If your burn injury was caused by a defective or faulty product or equipment, consult with a Ponca city ersonal injury attorney.
Types of Burns
Your doctor will determine the degree of your burn injury based on the depth of the burn and the amount of damaged skin. There are three different types (degrees) of burns:
- First-degree burns are the least severe as they only affect the top layer of the skin. Typically, first-degree burns heal within a week and do not leave any scarring or signs of damage.
- Second-degree burns are more severe than first-degree burns as they affect the epidermis and part of the dermis layer of skin. Second-degree burns are painful and can cause soreness, blistering, and infection.
- Third-degree burns are the most serious type of burn injury as they often involve nerve damage and may lead to permanent scarring and disability. Treatment of third-degree burns may include surgeries, and often victims are given intravenous (IV) antibiotics to prevent infection.
Second- and third-degree burns often result in permanent scarring, which can affect the quality of the victim’s life and their earning potential, among other negative consequences. If your burn injury and scarring resulted from someone else’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation with help from a burning and scarring injury lawyer in Ponca City.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Burn Injuries and Scarring
Following a serious burn injury, a victim is likely to have permanent scarring. Other consequences of burn injuries are:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress or trauma
- Sensitivity to temperature changes
- Organ damage
Burn injuries can result in the following types of scarring:
- Keloid scars come in the form of an overgrowth of scar tissue and appear red or pink in color.
- Contracture scars are a tightening of the skin, which can limit the mobility of nearby tendons and muscles. Contractures form when skin cells produce a fibrous connective tissue made up of a protein called collagen.
- Hypertrophic scars come in the form of raised and thick scars that feel warm to the touch. They are red or purple in color.
While nearly 97% of those treated in burn centers survive, many of them sustain permanent scarring, life-long physical disabilities, and adjustment difficulties, according to the American Burn Association.
Since burn injuries cause healthy skin cells to die, damaged areas of your skin produce collagen to repair themselves. As the skin heals, scarring is likely to occur in the form of discolored and thickened areas. While most minor scars fade over time, severe scarring caused by burns can last a lifetime.
Accidents that Cause Burn Injuries and Scarring
Multiple types of accidents have the potential to cause severe skin starring in burn injuries. Under the worst circumstances, nearly any type of accident can cause devastating injuries. Some examples of such accidents could include:
- Semi-truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle and motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Work-related accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home neglect and abuse
- Premises liabilities, including dog bites and attacks
- Injuries caused by product defects or malfunctions
These are only a few instances in which you might have grounds for an insurance claim or civil lawsuit. Do not hesitate to discuss the value of your damages and your legal actions further with a burning and scarring injury attorney in Ponca City, OK so you can start to take back control of your life.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
The Value of Your Ponca City Personal Injury Claim
After suffering debilitating skin scarring and burn injuries, you may be entitled to a total reimbursement of your damages. The exact amount of compensation you can expect to recover will vary widely depending on the specific details of your case. However, all injury victims are entitled to compensation for every loss they experience when someone else is responsible for causing their injuries.
In addition to compensatory damages, you may qualify for punitive damages. For example, if you suffered catastrophic burn injuries due to building code violations after reporting your concerns to your landlord, you may have the right to file a premises liability claim against your landlord. Here, you may have the right to compensation for not only the cost of your medical expenses and out-of-pocket fees, but your emotional distress, the excruciating pain you dealt with due to the debridement of your injuries, and the embarrassment you may be feeling due to the extent of your skin scars.
These are just a few examples of the types of compensation that may be available. If you are interested in finding out more about how much your scarring and disfigurement could be worth, be sure to discuss the specific details of your case with your burning and scarring injury lawyer in Ponca City, OK.
You Need An Attorney Who Has The Experience And Skill To Help You.Call (866) 257 7646
Contact a Burning and Scarring Injury Attorney in Ponca City, OK for Help Today
If you suffered a burn injury and scarring, you should get medical attention right away. Then, after you document your injury, it is advised to contact a skilled Ponca City burning and scarring injury attorney to help you pursue compensation for your scars, disfigurement, and other consequences of burn injuries. Call our office or fill out our quick contact form for a 100% free consultation today.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY