Toll Free: 866-800-9660
Serving Oklahoma

Ponca City Overtime Wage Disputes

As an employee in Ponca City, it is important that you know your rights, as well as the laws that protect you and govern things such as the number of hours you are legally allowed to work, and how you must be compensated for those hours. Sadly, our attorneys have seen employers take advantage of employees, exploit employees, or simply misclassify employees time and time again, resulting in wage disputes. At the law offices of Boettcher, Ingle, Devinney & Wicker , we can represent you if you believe that your employer has wrongfully denied you compensation for overtime hours to which you are entitled. Call our law office today for your free consultation.

Oklahoma Wage and Hour Laws

There are both federal laws and Oklahoma laws in place that govern how many hours a person may work in a given week; the minimum wage at which a worker must be compensated; and how any hours that extend beyond the maximum hour cap must be compensated.

The minimum wage in Oklahoma is currently $7.25 per hour, which is the same as the federal minimum wage. Additionally, while there is no state law that governs overtime, federal laws require that any employee who works more than 40 hours during a seven-day work week be compensated at a rate of 1.5 times the normal wage for hours over 40. For example, if a worker is compensated at $10 per hour and works 50 hours in a one-week period, that worker would be paid $400 ($10 x 40 hours) plus $150 ($10 x 1.5 x 10 hours) for a total of $550.

Exemptions to Overtime

There are some exemptions to federal overtime laws; employers do not always have to offer additional compensation for hours worked over 40. For example, certain executive employees, administrative employees, and professional employees are not entitled to overtime pay. If you think that you have been wrongfully denied overtime, it is important that you are certain you are not an exempt employee. Our attorneys can review your case and provide you with legal guidance and advice.

If You Have Been Wrongfully Denied Overtime Pay in Ponca City

If you believe that you have an overtime wage dispute, the first step is to discuss the issue with your employer and request compensation for the wages you deserve. If there is no remedy, the next step is to hire a skilled employment lawyer in Ponca City who can advise you. You may file a complaint with the Oklahoma Department of Labor, which will open an investigation into your case. If your employer is found to have breached your rights and withheld wages, you are entitled to compensation. You may be able to recover double the amount of unpaid wages, as well as any attorney fees you have incurred.

Our Lawyers are Here to Help

Before you file a claim with the Department of Labor or decide to file a lawsuit against your employer, we strongly advise you to speak to our attorneys first. Our legal team has more than 40 years’ worth of experience representing workers in our state, and knows how to best represent you. For a free consultation , please call our lawyers today to schedule your appointment.