Toll Free: 866-800-9660
Serving Oklahoma

Ponca City Uninsured Motorist Accidents

Because Oklahoma is a tort state, when a person causes a car accident, that person is responsible for paying for any resulting damages. However, what happens when the liable party does not have motorist coverage? Who pays for damages then?

If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident caused by an uninsured motorist, you are likely asking yourself this very question. Who will pay for your damages, and is there any way to hold the liable party accountable? Our Ponca City uninsured motorist accident lawyers at Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker are prepared to help you answer these questions and do what we can to help you recover compensation for your losses.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage Requirements

The Sooner State is one of many states that does not require its drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage. However, Oklahoma does require carriers to offer policy holders the option to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. If you turned down this add-on coverage, it is unlikely you will get your insurance provider to agree to pay for any of the damages you sustained in the accident. However, if you opted to pay for the additional coverage, your insurance provider may be on the hook for some expenses.

What Uninsured Motorist Coverage Covers

Unfortunately, because uninsured motorist coverage is an add-on policy, it does not cover much. For instance, it does not cover damage to your car. However, it does cover the cost of personal injury to you, your family, resident members, or other injured occupants of your vehicle.

If you do wish to have your insurance company cover the cost of vehicle repairs, you must have collision coverage. If you have liability only, your insurance provider is not required to foot the bill for damages caused by an uninsured or hit and run driver.

Your Options if You do Not Have UM

If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, your options are, unfortunately, limited. You may be able to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party, but you may have a difficult time doing so. For one, you may have a hard time locating the driver so you can serve him or her with a personal injury notice. This is especially true if the accident was a hit and run.

Uninsured motorists are generally uninsured for a reason—they usually have limited resources. If you do file and win a personal injury claim, it is unlikely the at-fault driver will have enough in assets or disposable income to cover the cost of your medical expenses, vehicle repairs and other damages. However, if your damages are severe enough, it may be worth your while to hire an attorney to investigate the at-fault driver's situation and determine whether or not he or she does have the means to repay you.

Retain the Help of a Ponca City Car Accident Attorney

As we already mentioned, you may have limited options if you do not have uninsured motorist coverage. However, even if you do have UM coverage, you may still have an uphill battle to fight with your insurer, who will likely be less than pleased to pay out a claim on another driver's behalf. Our Ponca City car accident lawyers at Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker can help you explore your options and pursue the best one. Contact our law firm today to learn more.