Pedestrians are a vulnerable group of commuters maneuvering the hazards of commuting on foot. There is little chance that the human body will not withstand injury when it encounters the massive force of a moving vehicle. If you or someone you love is the victim of a pedestrian accident in Stillwater, BDIW Law is the team that will guarantee comprehensive legal services, ensuring the compensation you deserve.
Our team can navigate the legal process while you focus on healing and recovery. We are confident in our ability to help you financially recover while you heal physically. Speak with someone today to start the recovery process.
Oklahoma Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to recent statistics from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, close to 800 pedestrians were injured in pedestrian crash accidents, with approximately 250 of the accidents resulting in death or severe injury. In the short span of one year, Oklahoma saw pedestrian fatalities increase by 18.5%. City streets continue to be the most dangerous for pedestrians.
Stillwater continues to grow, with pedestrian traffic becoming more vulnerable with upcoming expansions, particularly on Duck Street, where students and workers traverse the dangers of streets designed more to keep automobiles moving than focusing on pedestrian safety. A Stillwater pedestrian accident attorney should be your first call if you find yourself the victim of a pedestrian crash.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Documenting a Pedestrian Accident
Oklahoma is an at-fault state, meaning that the pedestrian crash victim must prove the other party was at fault in the accident. Protecting yourself with proper documentation is important if you are physically able. The most crucial step is to seek medical care if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident.
Trauma responses vary. Because of the shock from an accident, it is not uncommon for pedestrians to be unaware of the extent of their injuries. Call 911 immediately to dispatch law enforcement and an emergency medical team.
Building Your Case
What can you do to contribute to the information that will build your case and establish the fault of the other involved party?
- Obtain a copy of the police report. The police report should contain vital information about the details of the accident.
- Request camera footage. Most streets have cameras that can quickly detail the events of an accident and determine who is at fault.
- Collect witness information. Ask for the name and contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the accident.
- Take photographs to document injuries. Documenting the extent of injuries and the damage to any vehicle involved tells a powerful story.
A pedestrian accident attorney in Stillwater will be able to take this information and build a strong case by presenting the facts about your injuries and seeking the appropriate compensation. BDIW Law does more than take claims and obtain payment. We advocate for our clients through every step of the process.
Determining Responsibility for Stillwater Pedestrian Accidents
Filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance is one of the first steps. The driver’s liability insurance will cover damages incurred from the accident. A Stillwater pedestrian accident lawyer understands what damages the at-fault party is responsible for and how to determine the cost of the damages.
Claims may also be filed against the municipality where the accident occurred if negligence on their part is a factor in the accident. The improper design of streets and crosswalks, faulty crossing lights, and poor crosswalk markings are some contributing factors to devastating accidents.
Oklahoma is also a comparative negligence state as defined in Oklahoma Law Code Section: Title 23 §13. The defendant’s insurance company or attorney may feel there is shared responsibility with the plaintiff or another defendant for the accident. Proving this may reduce the amount of damages awarded to the plaintiff or allow for the responsibility of damages to be paid by both defendants.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Possible Injuries Incurred in a Pedestrian Accident
The damages incurred in a pedestrian accident can be catastrophic and life-changing, impairing your cognitive ability and inhibiting motor function. Examples of the possible injuries you may have incurred are:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Lacerations resulting in permanent disfigurement
- Internal damage to body organs and systems
You Need An Attorney Who Has The Experience And Skill To Help You.Call (866) 800 9660
Damages and Compensation for a Stillwater Pedestrian Accident
When suffering from a traumatic event, it is possible to overlook or forget all the loss that occurs when you are the victim of an accident. A competent pedestrian accident attorney in Stillwater will prioritize documenting these losses and determining the value of the losses incurred as a result. What are the compensations you can seek?
- Compensation for all medical expenses related to the crash: These expenses can include ambulance transportation, hospital admittance, follow-up appointments, and therapies.
- Compensation for lost wages while recuperating: The best scenario is that you will be able to return to your normal activities, including work, very soon, but this is not always the case. In addition to regular wages, the lost potential for bonuses and other earnings is considered.
- Pain and suffering: Trauma can linger for a very long time. Pain and suffering can diminish your quality of life.
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages: There may be things you once enjoyed that you can no longer do when you become the victim of a pedestrian crash.
- Possible punitive damages: Victims of particularly horrific accidents may request punitive damages. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Stillwater can most accurately determine if a defendant’s acts were gross negligence and contributed to the outcome.
Experienced Representation in a Stillwater Pedestrian Accident
Becoming the victim of a pedestrian crash can be devastating. There are few defenses the human body has against the weight of a vehicle moving at speeds that can deliver fatal results. The recovery process can be long and arduous, affecting every aspect of your life. Wading through legal options and compensation should not be one of the challenges in the recovery process.
The most important part of a case is caring for the individual. With over 65 years of combined experience in personal interactions that make victims feel understood, represented, and respected, BDIW Law is the team that will work for you. Your experience matters to us. We are here to serve you with integrity and compassion at every step of your claim.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY