Oklahoma hit and run accident victims get valuable support from witnesses
Like all other US states, Oklahoma traffic laws impose certain duties upon motorists who are involved in traffic crashes. They are required to provide information and render aid after an accident that causes injuries or death, but not all drivers take this responsibility seriously. Statistics indicate that fatal hit and run crashes are on the rise, going from more than 1,300 in 2010 to almost 2,000 in 2019. The number of fatalities also jumped by 44% during the same period. Many other victims suffer serious injuries in hit and runs, as they are left to suffer by the negligent driver who leaves the scene.
While leaving the scene of an accident can result in criminal charges, the remedy for victims is a civil lawsuit. As a result, proof of fault is an important component to the legal process. If you were a victim, it is important to discuss your circumstances with a Tulsa, OK hit and run accident attorney. You can also review this information on steps to take as a witness.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
What to Do if You Witness a Hit-and-Run
If you observed a hit-and-run, you could be a hero to the victim by providing essential evidence of your account. You might even be the only witness, since the at-fault motorist left the scene in violation of the law. Depending on the situation, do your best to:
- Call 911 to get first responders on the way.
- Identify the make, model, color, and any information about the vehicle that drove away. You can attempt to get the full license plate number, but it may be possible to track down the motorist with these other details.
- Take pictures of damage to the victim’s vehicle, the intersection or stretch of road, signage, traffic conditions, and any other specifics that seem relevant.
- Jot down the names of businesses in the vicinity, since they may have surveillance cameras. The video footage could reveal more about the hit and run driver’s identity.
Note that, in many cases, you will not even need to attend court for a hit-and-run case. If the driver can be identified, these claims often settle out of court.
Steps to Take if You Were Hurt in a Hit-and-Run
When the tables are turned and you were hurt in a hit-and-run crash, there are also tasks to undertake. Many of the same tips above apply, so take advantage of your opportunity to gather evidence. In addition:
- Get medical care immediately.
- Get in touch with your insurer to notify the company about the collision.
- Contact an attorney who can assist with additional tasks and employ efforts to track down the driver who left the scene.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Consult With Our Tulsa, OK Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyers About Legal Options
To learn more about your remedies, please contact Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker to schedule a free consultation. An Oklahoma hit-and-run accidents attorney can provide personalized details after assessing your situation.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY