When a truck accident happens, actions you take in the aftermath could impact your rights in filing a claim.
Local drivers are used to encountering semi-trucks in traffic, but few are aware of the risks they pose. Semi-truck accidents are common and often leave motorists involved with serious personal injuries. Your actions in the aftermath can impact your rights in filing a claim.
The following are important steps to take that increase your chances of getting the compensation you need to recover.
What to Do After a Semi-Truck Accident in Tulsa
According to the latest statistics from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office (OHSO), more than 600 truck accidents happen in our area each year. This ranks us second highest in the state when it comes to risks. Truck rollovers, side-swipe accidents, jackknife accidents, and t-bone crashes are all common causes.
Considering the massive size of semi-trucks, it is generally other drivers who suffer the most serious injuries. If you are involved in a semi-truck accident in Tulsa, take these steps in the aftermath:
- Notify law enforcement immediately so that an accident report can be filed
- Get the name of the truck driver, the company they work for, their contact information, and their driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance numbers
- Make a note of exactly when and where it happened and contact information for witnesses at the scene
- Take pictures of the accident site, your vehicle, and your injuries if possible
- Seek medical attention right away, regardless of the severity of your injuries and any symptoms you suffer
- Follow your healthcare provider’s treatment program and instructions surrounding activity or work restrictions and follow-up care
- Notify your insurers within several days of your accident
- Contact a semi-truck accident attorney at BDIW Law before making any statements to the truck company or accepting any settlements
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
How a Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer at BDIW Law Can Help
Trucking companies have teams of attorneys working on their behalf, helping them avoid liability when semi-truck accidents happen. To protect your rights in filing a claim, get our legal team working on your side. Actions we can take on your behalf include:
- Thoroughly investigating your truck accident to determine the underlying causes
- Gathering medical records, wage statements, and other important documents to determine the amount of losses you are likely to suffer both now and in the years to come
- Negotiating with insurance representatives for the truck driver and the trucking company with the goal of getting you the maximum amount in a settlement
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf through the Tulsa County Civil Court if your injuries are severe or a reasonable settlement cannot be reached
Get the Compensation You Need to Recover After a Semi-Truck Accident
After being involved in a collision with a tractor-trailer, your semi-truck accident attorney will be responsible for carefully reviewing the various ways your life has been affected by the injuries you sustained. This way, when you pursue your case, you can seek reimbursement for every loss you experienced, not only financial ones.
Damages are often separated into categories known as economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages describe financial or monetary losses and could include:
- The costs of repairing your vehicle or purchasing a new one
- The cost of a rental car
- Loss of income and diminished earning capacity
- Loss of employer-provided benefits, including health insurance, bonuses, salary increases, and contributions to your retirement savings plans
- Damage to your credit report or score
- Increased insurance costs
- Medical bills, including co-pays, ambulance bills, your hospital stay, and prescription medications
Non-economic damages include every loss that does not have a financial value. These can be more difficult to classify. However, due to their significant impact on your life, it is important to ensure they are calculated fairly when determining the value of your claim.
Examples of non-economic damages that may be available after a semi-truck accident could include
- Emotional trauma and distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of household services and emotional support
- Feelings of shame, shock, indignity, distress, shame, or fear
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Get Our Truck Accident Attorneys on Your Side
You have only one chance to get the compensation you need to recover from semi-truck accident injuries. At BDIW Law, our truck accident lawyers have one goal – to get you the maximum amount you deserve. To request a free consultation, call our office or contact our truck accident attorneys online today.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY