When others engage in reckless driving behaviors, it puts you and your passengers at risk for potentially serious injuries.
Driving a car is a complex task and nothing to take lightly. Considering the sheer number of other people on the road and the speed at which most vehicles are traveling, not taking the proper precautions and engaging in reckless behaviors can put you, your passengers, and others at risk. Reckless driving is a leading cause of motor vehicle accidents and can leave victims suffering from serious and often life threatening injuries. For your own protection, be aware of reckless actions that increase your risks.
Our Team Is Here To Assist You Every Step Of The Way.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Reckless Driving Behaviors Increase Risk of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents have the potential to impact drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists on the road. According to crash data from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office (OHSO), roughly 13,000 people are injured in these accidents each year throughout the state. For close to 700 people, the injuries they suffer end up proving fatal.
While road conditions, adverse weather, and heavy traffic can all play a role in increasing your motor vehicle accident risks, it is often the reckless behavior of others on the road that is ultimately responsible. Reckless driving involves any type of behavior that puts others at risk. It includes:
- Speeding and driving too fast for conditions:
- Running red lights or stop signs;
- Distracted driving, such as using cell phones or texting while behind the wheel;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In addition to being illegal and resulting in traffic citations, the above behaviors could also leave you liable for damages suffered in the event of a motor vehicle accident or injuries.
Protecting Yourself Against Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries
Along with the above types of behaviors, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) warns that there are other, less obvious reckless driving actions you may be taking which could increase your motor vehicle accident risks. These include:
- Aggressive driving behaviors: This includes being confrontational in traffic and taking actions such as tailgating, improper passing, or failing to yield.
- Drowsy driving: Being tired impairs your vision and your reflexes. It also increases the risk of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Other types of distracted driving: Engaging in tasks such as changing GPS settings, eating fast food, or even adjusting your appearance in your rearview mirror are dangerous and increase motor vehicle accident risks.
- Driving under the influence of medication: Certain types of prescription or over the counter drugs, while legal, can have major impacts on your driving abilities. This includes pain medications, muscle relaxers, allergy medicines, and cough syrup.
Get A FREE No-Obligation Consultation Today!CONTACT US TODAY
Get Help from Our Ponca City Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
When another driver’s reckless behavior leaves you suffering serious injuries, our team at BDIW Law provides the aggressive legal representation needed to hold the at-fault party accountable. To discuss how we can help you, call or contact our Ponca City, OK motor vehicle accident attorneys and request a consultation today.
The Sooner We Get Involved, The More We Can Do To Help You.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY