To help prevent otherwise avoidable car accidents and injuries, a new app offers rewards for those who refrain from distracted driving.
Distracted driving continues to be one of the leading causes of car accidents. Despite state laws prohibiting cell phone use while driving and public service campaigns aimed at raising awareness, motorists continue to make calls, send texts, and engage in other activities behind the wheel that put them, their passengers, and others on the road at risk. The creators of a new cell phone application are taking a different approach by offering drivers rewards in the hopes of preventing distracted driving-related crashes and collisions.
Distracted Driving Dangers
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 10 people are killed and thousands of others are injured each day as a result of distracted driving-related car accidents. As one of the leading causes of crashes and collisions, it involves engaging in any type of behavior that diverts you from the complex task of driving. The CDC identifies three main types of driving distractions:
- Visual distractions, which cause you to take your eyes off the road;
- Manual distractions, which cause you to take your hands off the wheel;
- Cognitive distractions, which cause your mind to wander from what is going on around you.
Talking on cell phones and texting are considered among the most dangerous behaviors, as they involve all three types of driving distractions. The CDC estimates that averting your eyes for even a few seconds to answer a call or read a text notification is the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blind.
Cell Phone App Offers Rewards to Prevent Distracted Driving
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) warns that drivers can be pulled over and face heavy fines for talking on cell phones or texting while behind the wheel. Unfortunately, these penalties and the serious risks involved have had little impact on most motorist’s behavior. Distracted driving continues to be a common cause of car accidents throughout the state.
A team of cell phone developers are now taking a different approach. This App Saves Lives is a free application that can be downloaded onto your phone. Here is how it works:
- Remaining dormant most of the time, the app switches on when your phone’s global positioning sensor indicates that you are in a vehicle and traveling at 10 miles per hour or more.
- The app monitors phone use and can differentiate between hand-free activities versus making calls and sending texts.
- You get points for not driving distracted. Developers have teamed up with businesses to provide free fast food, entertainment coupons, and other rewards.
When Distracted Driving Car Accidents Happen, Our Ponca City Attorneys are Here to Help
Even if you avoid distracted driving, the reckless actions of others can leave you suffering serious injuries. At BDIW Law, we help you get the compensation you need to recover. Call 580-765-9600 or contact our Ponca City car accident attorneys online to request a consultation today.