To protect yourself against a potentially lengthy jail sentence for vehicular manslaughter, get our Ponca City criminal defense attorneys fighting on your side.
As a driver, you are responsible for your actions while behind the wheel. When car accidents occur as a result of reckless driving behaviors, you can be held liable for the damages victims suffer. If the other motorist involved, a pedestrian, or a passenger in your vehicle is killed, you could be facing a potentially lengthy jail sentence. At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, we provide the strong, professional legal representation you need in this situation. Our Ponca City criminal defense attorneys can defend you against vehicular homicide charges and the penalties associated with a conviction.
When You are at Fault for a Car Accident Resulting in Fatalities
According to car accident statistics from the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office (OHSO), close to 350 people throughout the state are killed in car accidents each year. In the majority of cases, the reckless actions of others involved are to blame. Speeding, running red lights, distracted driving, and driving under the influence are common causes. If you are the at-fault party in this type of crash, in addition to any traffic citations, you could also be facing vehicular manslaughter charges.
Under Section 21-711 of the Oklahoma Statutes, manslaughter is a first-degree misdemeanor crime. It involves:
- Unintentionally causing the death of another while engaged in illegal behavior, such as traffic violations;
- Unintentionally causing the death of another in the heat of passion, but in a cruel and unusual manner, such as in cases involving road rage;
- Intentionally causing the death of another who was attempting to commit a crime or after a failed attempt, such as purposely striking someone who attempted to break into your vehicle.
At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, our Ponca City vehicular homicide attorneys are dedicated to protecting you against penalties you could face if convicted on your charges. Depending on the situation, these could include fines of $1,000 and up to a one-year jail sentence. This is in addition to any restitution you owe to the victim’s family and any penalties associated with traffic violations.
Our Ponca City Vehicle Homicide Attorneys Provide a Strong Legal Defense
Vehicular manslaughter charges in Ponca City are handled through the Kay County Criminal Court. At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, our decades worth of experience and our reputation among judges, prosecutors, police, and others within the criminal law system make us a strong legal ally to have on your side. Actions our Ponca City vehicular homicide attorneys can take on your behalf include:
- Investigating the circumstances surrounding your accident;
- Reviewing police reports, witness statements, and other evidence from the scene;
- Consulting with accident reconstruction experts to dispute claims against you;
- Aggressively negotiating with prosecutors and arguing your case in front of a judge or jury.
Contact Our Ponca City Criminal Defense Attorneys Today
At Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker, we protect you against vehicular homicide charges. To discuss the options in your case, contact our Ponca City criminal defense attorneys and request a consultation today.